Saturday, December 10, 2011

H & K Banner

Here are the directions for the Heart & Keeper banner I made for the retreat. I made each flag with a piece of our girls quilt material! I am really into repurposing which I sometimes think is harder than going out and buying exactly what I need, but all of us want to be good stewards and this is a better way of using up what we already have.

I cut a stencil for my flag out of cardstock for a guide. With pinking shears I cut my back flag out of cream colored material I had in my "Textile Collection" to my desired size. (above picture) Pinking shears finish off the edges keeping them from raveling so you don't have to turn the edges under, it just cuts out a few steps.

Then I cut the inner flag 1/2" to 1 " smaller than the outer flag out of pieces of our girls quilts!


I pinned the two flags together, right sides facing up, sewing near the edge of the girls quilted material.

Next I opened up a wide blanket binding, placed the flags into the inner side of the binding leaving a 1/2 inch between them, once they were all sewed down I folded the upper edge of the blanket binding down and sewed through all the layers. I put ribbon on the ends to make it easy to tie your banner up and embellished each flag with a cute-as-can- be button!

No comments: